Monday, August 17, 2009

Blazer Arts = Deb Blazer

Deb Blazer is the talented jeweler behind Blazer Arts. She creates contemporary jewelry that is graphic, dramatic and feminine. She is another one of our newest Etsy Metal members and we are proud to have her on our team.

1. Where do you live, and where are you from?

I currently live in Florida, but grew up just outside of Pittsburgh, PA. I will forever be a Pittsburgh Steelers fan.
2. How did you get started working with metal?
I have a bachelor of Fine Arts Degree in Metalworking and Sculpture from Penn State University. I fell in love with metal in a sculpture class where we learned to cast bronze. There was just something empowering about controlling the molten metal. From there I apprenticed under one of the best custom jewelers in the Northeast, Sharon Teaman, for three years and went on to work at a number of jewelry stores as a bench jeweler. When I was pregnant with my first son, I made the decision to start my own business in order to stay home with him.

3. What are a few of your favorite pieces at the moment?
I love working with Tahitian pearls, but am starting a new bamboo series that I am just so excited about. It's going to feature my black silver and green gold.

Water Lily Necklace

4. What inspires you (artists, objects, interests)?
I have a minor in Art History where I concentrated on Japanese and Chinese art so that usually works its way into my pieces. I also adore nature and Frank Lloyd Wright. He was a genius.

Sumi-E Bracelet - Sumi-E means "black ink painting" and refers to traditional Chinese Brush Painting.

5. Do you have any other artistic interests?
I'm pretty handy around the house. I even made our coffee table. I'm looking forward to working on some larger, more sculptural pieces in the future...light fixtures, mirrors, vases...home decor.

You can find more of Deb's exquisite work on her website, in her Etsy shop and in her 1000 Markets shop.

1 comment:

kathryncole said...

Great interview! I love Deb's amazing work. I had the fortune of meeting her this summer and seeing her work in person. Beautiful work, beautiful lady.

Kathryn

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
>