Thursday, July 2, 2009

Kerin Rose

Etsy Metal member, Kerin Rose creates tactile and soulful work. She begins her designs by carving beeswax (that is a result of the bees her sister keeps!!!) then she casts the wax carvings in eco-friendly silver and gold. (Find out more about her process here.) We are proud to have her in our team.
1. Where do you live, and where are you from?
I was born in Canada, but grew up mostly in NYC and New Mexico...
For a long while, I didnt really live anywhere, as I was working in the film industry and was "on location" for long periods of time...North Carolina, Mexico City, Nashville and more. Glamorous as some might think that seems, I found it kind of a drag not to have a home base. I currently live in Burlington Vermont.

2. How did you get started working with metal?
Getting started working in metal was sort of a happy accident for me. As a young teenager, I used to take art classes at the local Y. I wanted to take ceramics, but that class was full, so my mom stuck me in a jewelry making and enameling class, taught by Felicia Liban, who is fairly well known in the world of enameling. Apparently, I was something of a 'prodigy' with the materials, and later ended up being her apprentice in high school, doing her production work, and learning A LOT!

3. What are a few of your favorite pieces at the moment?
My favorite piece at the moment is usually whatever I am carving that's new on my bench!
beeswax carving by Kerin

I just finished a mandala that I am pretty happy with, but am working out the particulars of a big wide cuff with koi fish that probably will take up the better part of the next few weeks (on and off) but I am really excited about it...
Kerin's Mandala pendant. "Mandala is the sanskrit word for circle, community, connection."

4. What inspires you (artists, objects, interests)?
I am inspired by the rythym of the seasons, music, the art of Nikki de Saint Phalle, Allan Houser, Frida Kahlo, Elizabeth Catlett, Bettye and Allison Saar and so many more. Laughter, love, nature, spiritual symbols, stories and mythologies and the sprituality of all cultures, modern and ancient, especially!
Bee necklace "Bees represent the wisdom of the soul, and these days they are in danger within our fragile ecosystem... remember, we are all relations....."

5. Do you have any other artistic interests?
I am also a ceramic sculptor, (my art school major) though my life at the moment doesn't leave much time for playing with 'mud', but there is a bunch of ideas swirling around in my head, best to be expressed in that media, that hopefully will have time to escape sometime soon...in my next life, I am hoping to be a little taller and have a beautiful singing voice, so I can be a rock star instead.

You can find more of Kerin's work in her Etsy Shop , as well as on her website and flickr. I highly recommend reading her blog.

2 comments:

nova by tess said...

Your work is absolutely stunning!

Artist/Painter said...

I love your work! Yes I have learned, not having a home base is not as romantic as one may think. I am interested in how you do your work in an ecologically sound manner. Thanks for your post!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
>