Friday, August 8, 2008

Studio Metalsmith

Dinosaur Bone and 24K Gold Pendant

Kathleen Bostick, of studiometalsmith, lives in California, and creates one of a kind jewelry utilizing intriguing stones, enamel, found objects, silver, and gold.

1. Where do you live, and where are you from?

I will be living in San Diego again in about two weeks when school starts. I am from Southern California.

2. How did you get started working with metal?

I am a 2nd year MFA student at San Diego State University in the Metals/Jewelry program. I did my undergrad at California College of the Arts. Before that I studied drawing, painting, and sculpture. Metal was an extension of sculpture for me. I never even considered metal until I saw it in the CCAC catalog and thought "I can do that!" I didn't have any metal work for my application portfolio, so I bought a torch, a few tools, and a book, made a few pieces, and took some photos, the rest is history.

The work I do academically is sculptural and sometimes functional, but usually not wearable, it's very different from the work I sell in my Etsy shop. I hope to bring some influence from that work into my jewelry beginning this fall, I have some new materials and ideas in the works.


Blue Chalcedony and Amethyst Pendant

3. What are a few of your favorite pieces at the moment?

My favorite pieces in my shop right now are those that are made with both silver and gold, such as my Dinosaur Bone and 24K Gold Pendant, along with a few others.

4. What inspires you (artists, objects, interests)?

I am inspired by architecture, geometry, pattern, texture, color, and material. I am the geek that is always picking little things up of the ground just to look at them.

Rhodolite Garnet Ring

5. Do you have any other artistic interests?

My artistic (craft) interests are wide ranging! I really have to reign myself in because I am so easily distracted by new things. Right now I am very interested in fiber and fiber techniques. This summer I learned to spin yarn, next I want to learn to do silk reeling which is winding off the single strand of silk that makes up one cocoon (crazy, I know!).
I knit, crochet, sew, and whatever it takes to complete my projects at school.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
 
>